Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Gold or Siver

Junette G. was my high school classmate. We usually sit beside each other so I know very well that she is left-handed and she laughs a lot. She would teach me History and I would teach her Math. We have not seen each other in a very long time. Last year in February, I was in Los Angeles, CA to keep my mom company while my dad went home to the Philippines. Junette is now in Hollywood, CA (no, she is not a celebrity... but she sure is a star in her own right), which is just a few minutes away from my mom's. I called her... we met. She is the same Junette except a little heavier... or may I say, WE are both a little heavier than we used to be. There was always something to laugh about and any food always tasted yummy. Never a dull moment, we were like in high school again.

Rosanna Q. was my classmate since Grade V (these are really her words when she introduced me to her husband) that is why I know that she talks a little bit too fast. We were friends since high school and their house was our favorite hang-out. The other place we used to hang out a lot was at the Belvic to play Night Rider (thanks to her for paying for my games too). College and growing up somehow separated us and then reunited us and then separated us once more. One day, Junette G. gave me a call that Rosanna Q. is in Michigan and might be close to where I am because we have the same area code. This is how we got reunited again. We are about 50 miles apart and we do not see each other often but when we do, there's always a lot to talk about. Far or near, she is my friend for life.

I was not one of the popular girls in high school but I had friends who were. One of them was Villa M. I lost touch of her a long time ago. She was the girl that the boys would want to be friends with, the envy of a lot of girls. We were friends and our parents knew each other. Going back and forth from my house and to hers every possible hang-out time, I felt like part of her family and she part of mine. I often wonder where she is now and how to reconnect with her.

But my best friend in high school was Mercedes C. She was one of the popular girls too. She was the laid back type of girl yet giggled like every other girl would. We used to talk a lot on the phone and for long periods of time to the annoyance of the party line (we used to share phone lines with a party line before... thank God for technology we don't have to worry about the party line anymore). She had to transfer to another school during our Junior year because Tatay (her dad) was reassigned to Davao. Still, letters were exchanged and our friendship kept alive. Her family was constantly moving because of her father's job and soon we lost touch. But always, friendship brings people back together again. One time I found her, another time she found me. Then we lost touch. This time the phone directory would be useless because we don't even know each others last names anymore. Someday, this same friednship will again bring us back together.

"Make new friends and keep the old, one is silver, the other is gold..." Since then, I have made a lot more friends, one would think I am now either glittering with a lot of bling or bent down to my waist due to the immense weight of the metals. Being away from my original home, Cebu, where old high school friends/classmates still regularly meet and have fun, I felt the urge to blog about some of my wonderful memories. I thank God everyday for gold and silver... and platinum.

1 comment:

DiMouli said...

Oy, Dang...
I didn't know you were good in Math. Baka "MM", ha?
-tagator