Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gym?

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, the doctor recommended daily exercise. I walked in the park but the dogs being walked by their owners scare me. Aha! The gym! I signed up for a year of membership with FitZone with automatic membership fee deduction from my checking account. My membership was over in August but I was enjoying my wii Fit at home. Then Bong called my attention regarding a FitZone deduction from our checking account. I was not checking... it has been going on even after the end of my membership. I was furious as I went to the gym to complain. I signed the clause that allowed them to automatically renew my membership... this was their claim. Actually, I checked the box that said 'lock in membership fee at $36/mo'... and yes, the blah..blah.. before the 'check the box' portion was about automatic renewal, which I foolishly missed. Was I duped? Yes, I was! This is how they work... they tell you, 'oh, this here is just to ensure that your membership fee does not change'... they really don't care about the members, they only care about their business. So, do you wonder why these places seem to thrive even if you don't see a lot of people going?

Lesson I learned: Read... Read... Read.... before signing anything!











4 comments:

emarene said...

You just realized now? I had a similar membership with a gym a long time ago. However, I made it a point to inform them I was ending my contract 1 month before expiry. You know what happened? I can only inform them AFTER expiry - and contract end is 30 days after notification -- giving them 1 more month to charge you! Grabe !

TiNGTiNG said...

GYMs don't care as long as they get their money. A few years ago we lost a few hundred dollars for something we didn't even use! We only went there to inquire and same thing, they made us sign something supposedly saying that WHEN we decide to sign up we can still get the special rate they're offering. But we never came back to sign up. And it's so hard to deal with them- even their customer service dept! *sigh* No more gym memberships for me!

Dang S. said...

Abi nako'g ako ra...
D!

Anonymous said...

just read the important parts
but yeah the government shouldnt allow them to do things like that