Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"Tuesdays with Morrie"
Starring : an old man- the professor
Morrie Schwartz
Also starring : a young man - the author-
Mitch Albom
Plot : Life as it should be lived.

I started reading this book in September and because I was "too busy doing things", my reading was suspended for a while. Now, jobless and bored at home, I picked up on my reading. I finished the book with tears rolling down my cheeks.

Let me just quote Morrie....
"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they are busy doing things they think are important. This is because they are chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

Today, Thaad asked if I wanted to go to Denys for food. The restaurant was giving free breakfast. I brushed him off by saying, "it's too cold to go out and eat. I'd rather cook food and stay warm at home". Derek and his mom came by to pick Thaad up. After an hour of waiting in line, they finally got to eat. Meanwhile, alone at home, I felt a little pinch in my heart. Maybe my son just wanted to hang out with me and I was not paying attention. And Morrie said, "the most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Today, I got an 'F' in Morrie's class.


4 comments:

TiNGTiNG said...

This is the only book that made Brice tear up. He made me read it afterwards and it really made you think about a lot of things in life. Truly an inspiring book! It's written by the same guy who did 'The 5 People You Meet in Heaven.'

Anonymous said...

Ting, he is from Detroit.

Anonymous said...

Makahilak man sad ko... ngano man wa ka mokuyog niya? Maybe he just wanted to be with you - mother and son outing.

-tagator

emarene said...

His book "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven" made me cry too. I was planning to read this one. I must be ready then.