Friday, January 30, 2009

Bygone

Last year, Thaad got suspended from school for a day. He kicked a boy in the... you know where. Shock of my life! Ever since he was a little boy, he never got into a fight. He might have his moods but he's actually a gentle soul. My little investigation, asking the victim (in my point of view, Thaad) and some witnesses (neighbors/friends who go to the same school), gave me an idea of what kind of person this other boy was. Then, I marched into the principal's office to defend my little boy's case. The counselor promised that she would look into the matter.... well, school administrators really do not want to admit their fault and even if they did, how is a punishment undone, anyway? Let bygones be bygones... the incident is forgotten, but not with lessons learned.

Thaad is a senior in HS now and as usual, he has a lot of friends who come over to our house. There is one particular boy who comes almost everyday, I jokingly tell him to just change his last name to Sabolboro. I feed him at dinner time.... he has acquired the Filipino taste. A lot of times I talk to my kids in Binisaya and because he has a Spanish class, he catches some words, but most of the time, he just pretends he understands...or guesses.... until... "What?! You are the same Derek who got Thaad suspended?!... I shouldn't have let you in my house... I shouldn't have fed you... ", I started blabbing. I was kidding, of course. It turned out that they were just horsing around when that accident happened and was witnessed by a lunch lady who promptly reported the incident to the office.

Derek aspires to be a doctor someday. Derek, this blog is for you. Remember me when you have already affixed a MD at the end of your name... and keep reading my blog.






No comments: