Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Binisaya


Word of the day: NYEBE (n.) Cebuano for SNOW. Where I am from, it does not snow. Yet, we have a word for it. Cebuano, or may I call it binisaya, is my own tongue. It is spoken by about 20 million people in the Philippines. Composed of about 7000 islands, the Philippines is rich with culture. I am proud to be bisaya, a culture in itself, and the dialect I speak is very distinct, it deserves to be called a language. I can write my blog in binisaya but global appreciation for what I write is my aim. Instead, every now and then, I might bring in a binisaya term and maybe you, my reader, can learn.

Yesterday, we had our first dusting of snow. No, it is not yet winter but it feels like it already. It even seems too early but Christmas carols are already played on the radio, signaling the approach of the season. Hmmm... another reason to go shopping. But let us remember the real reason for the season. Jesus has come to save us!

Hangtud sa sunod.... (until next time...)

Kalidadis-ly yours,

Dang

2 comments:

DiMouli said...

Akoy BisDak...

-tagator

emarene said...

Hybrid si TagaTor.

BTW, my new URL is now
www.thisrandomness.blogspot.com

I still have to change my blog name.
Hinay-hinay lang.

Do you have a Cebuano diksionari?